Following are various types video file formats with minimal amount of description.
- AVI (Audio Video Interleaved) : It is a video container or wrapper format created by Microsoft. It stores video data that may be encoded in a variety of codec’s, typically uses less compression than similar formats such as .MPEG and .MOV. AVI files can be played by various video players. It’s a good choice if your visitors will almost exclusively being using Windows.
- MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) : This format is the most widely supported and viewers are available for most platforms, because it is highly compressed and usable. MPEG is the best universal choice.
- WMV (Windows Media Video) : WMV is a compressed video file format for several proprietary codec’s developed by Microsoft. The original codec, known as WMV, was originally designed for Internet streaming applications. Through standardization, WMV has gained adoption for physical-delivery formats, such as HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.
- *.MOV (Apple QuickTime Movie) : This format originally a Macintosh standard, is now available for Windows as well. It provides good quality if your visitors have the plug-in and use personal computers.
- AMV (Anime Music Video File) : This is a compressed video format used by Chinese portable media players. This is typically saved in low resolutions (from 94x64 to 160x120) to fit the screens of the media players. This format can usually be played on a PC using the software included with the portable media player.